da Vinci Robotic Hysterectomy
A hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus. Hysterectomies are performed for a wide variety of reasons including fibroids, endometriosis, and heavy periods. A hysterectomy is major surgery, but with new technological advances, the discomfort, risk of surgery, and recovery time has all been decreased. Our practice offers robotic surgery, a robotic assisted hysterectomy with the Da Vinci robot. Other methods of hysterectomies are available such as abdominal, vaginal, and laparoscopic.
da Vinci Robotic Hysterectomy
A hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus. Hysterectomies are performed for a wide variety of reasons including fibroids, endometriosis, and heavy periods. A hysterectomy is major surgery, but with new technological advances, the discomfort, risk of surgery, and recovery time has all been decreased.
Types of Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Procedures
There are several options to remove the uterus surgically. These include:
- Da Vinci Assisted Hysterectomy.This is the state-of-the-art robotic hysterectomy surgery method of surgically removing the uterus using the Da Vinci surgical system. The Da Vinci robotic system enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
- Open or Abdominal Hysterectomy. This involves a six to twelve inch incision made in the abdominal wall. This surgery leaves a noticeable scar and is associated with a longer recovery than other approaches.
- Vaginal Hysterectomy. This involves removing the uterus through the vagina. This approach generally has a faster recovery compared to the open or abdominal hysterectomy, but does not allow the surgeon a full view of the surrounding organs, including the bladder.
- Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. This is when a portion of the operation (intra-abdominal) is completed with the laparoscope and the remainder of the operation (vaginal incision, excision of cervical tissues) is completed trans-vaginally
What are the benefits of da Vinci Robotic Assisted Hysterectomy?
Potential benefits of robotic surgery include:
- Significantly less pain
- Less blood loss
- Fewer complications
- Less scarring
- A shorter hospital stay
- A faster return to normal daily activities
What should I expect from this surgery?
Robotic-Assisted Hysterectomy usually takes 1-3 hours under general anesthesia. Generally, you will be hospitalized for one night so we can monitor your healing progress. Most patients return to normal daily activities within one to two weeks. You will need to refrain from any lifting anything over 20 lbs and any vaginal intercourse for six weeks .
The daVinci robotic assisted procedure offer surgeons a degree of precision, control and dexterity traditional surgeries can’t match.
What is single-site da Vinci Hysterectomy?
New surgical technologies continue to be developed. At Folsom Ob/Gyn we are pleased to offer our patients the newest technology called single-site da Vinci assisted robotic surgery. This surgery is performed with just one incision in the belly button. Once healed, any scarring is nearly undetectable. Some have even called it virtually scarless.
We will work with you to decide if you are a candidate for a Single-Site procedure.